Friday, September 17, 2010

Day #10

POOPED!

So I'm adjusting to the new environment, the new systems, the increased expectations, the kids, my co-workers. It's pretty refreshing to be having relatively minor problems with behavior. The most extreme head cases this year would have been the most reasonable kids in my classes last year. And only about 5 or 6 kids out of each class of 25 are problematic right now, which is precisely inverse to my previous experience, when I'd have 5 or 6 attentive and well-behaved kids and 20 lunatics in each class. And I have supportive and appreciative administrators and counselors and special ed staff who are already offering suggestions for differentiation and who if I give them my learning targets and a text will re-work it for me to meet the students' needs. I'm stunned by all this. And when you call a parent at SBCS, the parent shows up the next day before school starts. Amazing! I couldn't get phone numbers from parents half the time last year.

Of course I'm also choking on work. I'm planning and researching a lot and trying to learn new assessment and teaching and workshop models. I'm collecting reams of work but I don't really know how to record it or grade it because all the methodology is different. But I'm expecting everything to become clear as we move forward.

The kids are hilarious, even the jerks. One sixth grade clown told me if I put a T between the E and O in my name it would be Mr. Getoff. I had to try and choke down my laughter as I reprimanded him for not following the "Be respectful" norm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’ll start calling you that if you don’t mind…

:)

Geoff said...

I can think of worse things to be called!