Monday, February 21, 2005

Cacaphony

I really, really wanted to see The Simpsons' gay marriage episode, and I sort-of did, but the house was filled with loud people playing Monopoly and talking, so despite the fact I was seated in front of my TV on my couch, I only half got to actually experience the episode, which seemed pretty good, but that may be an impression picked up from the New York Times today, more than from the actual show, which I already only vaguely recall.

Big Red and Leesha are trying to buy an apartment on the water at the far east end of 52nd. Let's just say he's putting $260k down, and that his mortgage amount is $840k, and that he made a point of having the paperwork which showed this on top of the pictures of the apartment which he brought along to show us. Looks pretty spectacular, with two bedrooms, full dining room, big living room, and two baths--1400 square feet of exclusive condo. As Big Red said "Well, we're in a certain bracket, so we might as well live like it." They've been accepted financially--now they have to face The Board. K'wali, who was over last night with Klezma, had a fit because he's got a bug in his bonnet about moving to NYC and the cost of living is scaring him.

Big Red has a tendency to repeat jokes on TV shows, mimicking the voices, immediately after he hears them. This is why I missed much of last night's episode--because I was hearing each joke twice (this performance continued through both Simpsons episodes, an episode of The Family Guy, and also King of the Hill). On top of that, K'wali was standing behind me (he was playing Monopoly in the other room, but between turns would run in to watch the show) and making comments on the origin of each pop culture reference as they occurred. As a result, 75% of the show was drowned out by inane chatter.

There's nothing worse than sitting in your own living room while someone else has the remote control, and that someone else doesn't live there. And I like Big Red, and K'wali, and Klezma, and Eartha, and It's Australian for Beer!, but last night I was tired and grumpy, and after they left at midnight I was even more tired and grumpy.

No comments: