Monday, May 25, 2020

Quarantine Dreams: Only the Shadow Knows

I work in some nondescript agency or business, and have something to do with finance or cash office procedures as my primary function. Each day I ride a taxi as part of my duties. For some reason the underside of the backseat of this taxi is where cash is kept, where the profits of the business are held. I do not know this until one day I reach down under the seat and find a few hundred dollars in 20 dollar bills. Then, over several trips, I realize that there are thousands of dollars, and I am able to take money by reaching a bit into a tear in the fabric under the seat. I take some each day, and end up with about $7000 which I promptly put into my bank account.

Somehow, I am found out. The boss meets with me about it, and I assure him I will return the money. I do so immediately, transferring it from my account to the agency's account. But despite this, and despite feeling there was a gentlmen's agreement that I would be fired but not charged, I am arrested.

I am taken to jail. I am confounded at the idea that I am being arrested for this. And yet, I think "I knew what I was doing was wrong. I must pay this debt, it's ridiculous to think I don't deserve it." The jail is clean and modern and I am taken to a common area to wait for a cell assignment. There are many tough and unsavory characters around. One diminutive and demonic looking fellow with a pointy beard and mustache approaches and becomes friendly with me. Apparently I must fight to be accepted here, but he says he will do it for me. Having no expertise at prison fights, I allow him to stand in my place against a somewhat larger opponent. The opponent attacks first and my defender accepts his attack and then returns with vicious and quick stabbing finger-nail motions to the face that quickly disable him. The fight is over and my demonic fellow is victorious.

The dream ends and I wake.

Context

During the dream I kept associating the money stolen with guilt about receiving a Coronavirus stimulus payment from the US government when I was still employed and so many else weren't. My wife and I had been talking about donating it or maybe saving it for a family member or a friend who might need it.


No comments: