Sunday, May 23, 2010

netflixed



I think this is the fourth Iranian film I've seen over the past couple years, and for the fourth time I was really impressed. Children of Heaven is about as basic as story-telling and movie-making gets, but it is pure and charming and I actually watched it twice.

Ali is running errands for his mother when he accidentally loses his sister's just-repaired shoes. His family is desperately poor, and Ali and his sister both know the consequences of Father finding out. They conspire to share Ali's sneakers until they can find her shoes. A tear-jerker along the lines of Zhang Ymou's Not One Less.

If you've never seen an Iranian film, this might be a good place to start. A Taste of Cherry is my favorite so far, however.

1 comment:

Scott Stiefel said...

Good pick. I saw Children of Heaven when I was 12 and it changed the way I thought about movies.