Tuesday, December 21, 2004

T minus 90 minutes (and counting)

Wow. In an hour and a half I'll be off work. For more than a week and a half. WITH PAY. At Xmas! It's ridiculous.

Nick and I threw a fixture of Bound journals today--it took about an hour and half, and that was the sum total of work I accomplished. I had lunch with several Aunties and one Uncle and The Boss. We had Bubba's, and they all complained about how cold everything was.

Um, the delivery guy had to walk that shit up from his car. It's 15 degrees outside.

Then they started telling cat stories, and bunny stories, and one said she had to take care of her neighbor's pet rats while they were away, and she started to imitate the rats and I almost spit my tuna melt out because I was laughing it up both nose holes.

So we actually had some patrons today, and they all wanted to make copies, and the Library has sent all its copiers away to be serviced (or, hopefully, replaced). Also, the CopicoCard machine and the change machines are gone. So I let some dudes use the copier in the office and charged them the standard 10 cents a page but couldn't make change for them and it was a mess. One guy complained about the elevators but I didn't know what he was talking about--apparently there's some painting going on throughout Cook today and all the elevator doors are covered with taped-down plastic sheeting above the second floor--and you can't tell until you're in there and ready to get off. The same Aunty who did a convincing rat impersonation mimicked what happened to her when she tried to use the elevator today and ended up wrapped in shrinkwrap on the fourth floor.

I've got shopping left to do. MUCH shopping.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the life of me, I cannot even begin to think what Aunty would be able to be so damned entertaining.

Hooray for paid vacation during the holidays! It's an amazing thing.

Geoff said...

It was B. B. She was extremely giggly.

Anonymous said...

I cannot stop laughing. I keep picturing her making rat faces. I'm scaring the cats.
She is honestly my favorite Aunty. When she's not overrun with work and her home life, she is the sweetest, most interesting person.
She spent a half hour telling me about the deep tissue massages she gets every couple months and then got me a card for a woman who does preggo lady massages. Which, of course, I haven't called about.
I should do that.

Geoff said...

She was adorable miming rodents--she really hates rats and was appalled at having to reach into their cage. She stuffed rat yogurt balls into the top to lure them away from the door, and kept doing this rat face and making little chewing noises as she told us about the experience.

You should definitely get the massage. I myself am thinking of getting one during the break--it's been since August that I've had one. They're wonderful.